Just a few weeks ago we had the awful experience of almost losing our Bichon Downey to an overdose of chocolate. It was scary and nerve recking for us that night he had to stay at the pet hospital (not to mention sleep deprived for us and Downey). We had brought back some chocolate back from Guatemala which he was able freely dig in to while we were away. Had we only been more careful!! To say that we felt terrible is an understatement. But, lesson learned, and we are just glad that he turned out fine.
Seeing those sad, sad eyes looking back at me while he was under a tranquilizer and heart rate reducing medicine was terribly heartbreaking. When we got back home that night without him I had a sinking feeling of sadness just thinking that he might not come back at all. It really is amazing how much we can get to love our pets. At home Francis and I always tell our selves that Downey’s ONLY job at home is to do nothing but to bring us happiness, and he sure does.
P.S. We did apologized to Downey and in return I offered my time by taking a long nap with him so he could catch up on much needed sleep.
HERE Is some info on chocolate and dogs. Downey is an 18lb dog and had over the amount of chocolate a dog can eat and still be in the “safe zone”.